It All Goes Back In The Box

Had the great privilege of spending a few short minutes with John Ortberg this weekend as he spoke at our services. What a great man of God with a passion for seeing changed lives. I was once again reminded of his storytelling approach to preaching and how it resonated with me. That is probably the reason I like his books as well.

My seven year old, Caleb sat through the entire service and never moved as he was focused on John's teaching from the book of Luke chapter 12.

John's new book is great. If you haven't picked it up yet, please do so.


Here are a few notes I left with from my short time with John.

  • "You must ruthlessly eliminate 'hurry' from your life."

  • "Busy and hurry are two different things."

  • "Hurry is selfishness, my agenda, will kill you and your soul, shrinks your mind."

  • "There is a difference between richness of having and richness of being."

  • "There is a chasm between 'more' and 'enough'."

  • "It could be worse."

  • "More isn't better."

  • "When the game is over it all goes back in the box."

© Kerry R. Mackey, All Rights Reserved